Thursday, August 13, 2015

Homemade Soap - Updates


One of the best workshops I attended was a soap making course put on by Homesteaders Emporium. It was an evening workshop and it gave me all the confidence (lye can be scary...and I respect it very much) and skills I needed to make my own soap! 

This was near the end of 2013 if I remember correctly. Below are photos from my most recent batch (batch #3). This time, I did the cold process, but didn't add anything - just left it as is to harden into mold (see below). It has a bit of a green tint to it and I'm not entirely sure why....perhaps the olive oil since it's yellow-ish but I have not yet looked it up.




Then, I grated it down, re-melted it on a double boiler and added essential oils, and spices for colour! All direct from nature :)




 Actually, I first tried to melt without the double boiler, and I added too much water (because I didn't want it to burn/stick) and it was a foamy mess! But, still turned out okay (see below) just a bit more water in it so it will take a while to "set" and be ready for use.





This is a minty bar (though it looks a bit fruity!), peppermint, spearmint, tea tree
...plus ground oatmeal/bran/clove.

I could use it now but...it's soft and would disintegrate within a few uses....so I'd rather wait and prolong its life.



 I used old almond milk/hemp milk containers as molds and they worked great! #upcycling  and a container I had lying around (made with silicone) - not actually a huge fan of it for food so glad I can use it for soap making! 



A few more pictures of the process.


This has rose flowers (which were rescued on their way to landfill)
plus essential oils of jasmine, ylang ylang, and patchouli. 

Tumeric is what I used to get this colour!



I added poppy seeds to the yellow one for exfoliant awesomness (they were poppy seeds I rescued from their way to the landfill, so it seemed like a good fit!) The scents in it are tea tree, lemon grass and a bit of patchouli

I actually had help in making a video while doing the cold process - and at some point I will edit it and perhaps post it online....it was made for my cousin, and is super low key....but maybe will be helpful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment